Titus Geer Simons was born in Enfield, Connecticut on January 20, 1765 and before the end of the American Revolutionary War, the Simons family was forced to move to the safety of Kingston, Upper Canada. In 1797, having moved with his wife, Elizabeth Green, to Niagara, he began a truly remarkable career as an entrepreneur, soldier and industrialist in the early history of Upper Canada.
At the age of 22, he was appointed both editor and publisher of The Upper Canada Gazette, the first newspaper in the province. When York (Toronto) became the capital of Upper Canada, Titus moved there, transferring the paper and continuing publication until 1801, when he was dismissed for releasing a controversial story and editorials.
Upon leaving York, he settled on property in West Flamborough Township and began a distinguished military career. Beginning in 1804, he was commissioned as an adjutant in the 1st Regiment of the Lincoln Militia, followed by promotion to lieutenant in the 2nd Regiment of the Lincoln Militia.
In 1813, he undertook the recruiting of men for the Incorporated Militia, returning later in the year as Major of the 2nd York Militia, and leading the regiment at the capture of Fort Niagara and the Battle of Lundy’s Lane.
During the battle he was severely wounded, being hit by three bullets to his right or sword arm, while he was in the act of “encouraging his men in the advance and he immediately fell from his horse.” Some of his men removed him from the battlefield, bound his wounds and carried him unconscious to a nearby log cabin.
For his services, he received compensation of £200 per annum, as well as a land grant of over 600 acres in West Flamborough.
The year 1816 saw the government of Upper Canada create the Gore District (Hamilton and the surrounding area that eventually became Wentworth County). Titus Geer Simons was appointed the first sheriff of the district, which led to his connection to many of the prominent conservatives of the area, such as Dr. James Hamilton.
Although never as prominent an industrialist as his West Flamborough neighbor, James Crooks, by 1825, Simons had created a small industrial complex on Lot 3, Concession 2 that included a grist mill, saw mill, distillery, cooperage, hog pens and houses for his employees.
Colonel Titus Geer Simons died August 20, 1829 in West Flamborough Township and was buried in the Flamborough Municipal Cemetery on Highway #8 at Bullock’s Corners.