Plaza owner and tenants asked to improve lighting

News Nov 22, 2006 Flamborough Review

Councillor Margaret McCarthy has joined the father of an assault victim in asking the business owner and tenants of the Waterdown Shopping Centre to install more lighting to deter future attacks in the area.

Reacting to a Review article about a 14-year-old Waterdown youth, who was kicked unconscious on the evening of December 27 during a failed robbery attempt near the Tim Hortons drive-through, McCarthy fired off a letter to plaza owner Jack Rabba and the owners of Tim Hortons, Sobeys and Harvey's, the three businesses that share the poorly lit area of the plaza where the attack took place.

The youth sustained a concussion and cuts on his head and body during the assault. His father suggested better lighting at the plaza might have prevented the attack.

In her letter, McCarthy asked business owners to consider more lighting and offered her assistance "to facilitate this measure." She also sent a copy of the letter to the Hamilton Police to request additional patrols to the area to make their presence known.

So far, police have charged a 17-year-old Dundas boy with assault and are continuing to look for a second attacker. Cst. John Tselepakis is heading up the ongoing investigation into the incident.

Noting that the victim appeared to be "in the wrong place at the wrong time," the constable said efforts to locate the second assailant have been hampered by "a discrepancy in descriptions" from witnesses.

Anyone with any information about the assault is asked to contact Hamilton Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Plaza owner and tenants asked to improve lighting

News Nov 22, 2006 Flamborough Review

Councillor Margaret McCarthy has joined the father of an assault victim in asking the business owner and tenants of the Waterdown Shopping Centre to install more lighting to deter future attacks in the area.

Reacting to a Review article about a 14-year-old Waterdown youth, who was kicked unconscious on the evening of December 27 during a failed robbery attempt near the Tim Hortons drive-through, McCarthy fired off a letter to plaza owner Jack Rabba and the owners of Tim Hortons, Sobeys and Harvey's, the three businesses that share the poorly lit area of the plaza where the attack took place.

The youth sustained a concussion and cuts on his head and body during the assault. His father suggested better lighting at the plaza might have prevented the attack.

In her letter, McCarthy asked business owners to consider more lighting and offered her assistance "to facilitate this measure." She also sent a copy of the letter to the Hamilton Police to request additional patrols to the area to make their presence known.

So far, police have charged a 17-year-old Dundas boy with assault and are continuing to look for a second attacker. Cst. John Tselepakis is heading up the ongoing investigation into the incident.

Noting that the victim appeared to be "in the wrong place at the wrong time," the constable said efforts to locate the second assailant have been hampered by "a discrepancy in descriptions" from witnesses.

Anyone with any information about the assault is asked to contact Hamilton Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Plaza owner and tenants asked to improve lighting

News Nov 22, 2006 Flamborough Review

Councillor Margaret McCarthy has joined the father of an assault victim in asking the business owner and tenants of the Waterdown Shopping Centre to install more lighting to deter future attacks in the area.

Reacting to a Review article about a 14-year-old Waterdown youth, who was kicked unconscious on the evening of December 27 during a failed robbery attempt near the Tim Hortons drive-through, McCarthy fired off a letter to plaza owner Jack Rabba and the owners of Tim Hortons, Sobeys and Harvey's, the three businesses that share the poorly lit area of the plaza where the attack took place.

The youth sustained a concussion and cuts on his head and body during the assault. His father suggested better lighting at the plaza might have prevented the attack.

In her letter, McCarthy asked business owners to consider more lighting and offered her assistance "to facilitate this measure." She also sent a copy of the letter to the Hamilton Police to request additional patrols to the area to make their presence known.

So far, police have charged a 17-year-old Dundas boy with assault and are continuing to look for a second attacker. Cst. John Tselepakis is heading up the ongoing investigation into the incident.

Noting that the victim appeared to be "in the wrong place at the wrong time," the constable said efforts to locate the second assailant have been hampered by "a discrepancy in descriptions" from witnesses.

Anyone with any information about the assault is asked to contact Hamilton Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).