No one injured in repair shop blaze

News Nov 22, 2006 Flamborough Review

Despite initial concerns, no one was injured in last week's fire at Atlas Auto Repairs in Greensville.

Hamilton Fire Service dispatched units to a 911 call at the corner of Brock Road and Hwy. 5 West at 8:50 p.m. last Thursday evening, according to Fire Safety Officer John Verbeek.

"There were a total of 35 personnel on the scene, and nine pieces of apparatus," he noted, including pumps, tankers and the rescue unit. Firefighters from Dundas, Waterdown, Greensville and Rockton arrived at the scene within six minutes of the dispatch, he added.

But it was already too late, as the two-storey building was "well-involved," with the front two-thirds of the structure - as well as a number of vehicles within the auto body shop - already ablaze.

Emergency workers tried to establish whether anyone was at home in the building's upstairs apartment unit, but intense flames kept them from going inside immediately.

"There were some initial concerns during the fire that the occupant upstairs was unaccounted for," confirmed Verbeek. "It was important at that time for firefighters to gain entry into the building, but it was unsafe. The amount of fire and threat of collapse of roof and walls kept them from going in.

"They finally located (the tenant) sometime after 11 p.m," he added. "There were no other injuries reported."

Crews remained at the scene for nearly four and a half hours. According to Verbeek, investigation of the incident led to the discovery of a compressor located along one of the walls of the body shop.

"The fire was due to an overheated electric motor on the compressor," he said.

Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the building and another $165,000 to the contents.

No one injured in repair shop blaze

News Nov 22, 2006 Flamborough Review

Despite initial concerns, no one was injured in last week's fire at Atlas Auto Repairs in Greensville.

Hamilton Fire Service dispatched units to a 911 call at the corner of Brock Road and Hwy. 5 West at 8:50 p.m. last Thursday evening, according to Fire Safety Officer John Verbeek.

"There were a total of 35 personnel on the scene, and nine pieces of apparatus," he noted, including pumps, tankers and the rescue unit. Firefighters from Dundas, Waterdown, Greensville and Rockton arrived at the scene within six minutes of the dispatch, he added.

But it was already too late, as the two-storey building was "well-involved," with the front two-thirds of the structure - as well as a number of vehicles within the auto body shop - already ablaze.

Emergency workers tried to establish whether anyone was at home in the building's upstairs apartment unit, but intense flames kept them from going inside immediately.

"There were some initial concerns during the fire that the occupant upstairs was unaccounted for," confirmed Verbeek. "It was important at that time for firefighters to gain entry into the building, but it was unsafe. The amount of fire and threat of collapse of roof and walls kept them from going in.

"They finally located (the tenant) sometime after 11 p.m," he added. "There were no other injuries reported."

Crews remained at the scene for nearly four and a half hours. According to Verbeek, investigation of the incident led to the discovery of a compressor located along one of the walls of the body shop.

"The fire was due to an overheated electric motor on the compressor," he said.

Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the building and another $165,000 to the contents.

No one injured in repair shop blaze

News Nov 22, 2006 Flamborough Review

Despite initial concerns, no one was injured in last week's fire at Atlas Auto Repairs in Greensville.

Hamilton Fire Service dispatched units to a 911 call at the corner of Brock Road and Hwy. 5 West at 8:50 p.m. last Thursday evening, according to Fire Safety Officer John Verbeek.

"There were a total of 35 personnel on the scene, and nine pieces of apparatus," he noted, including pumps, tankers and the rescue unit. Firefighters from Dundas, Waterdown, Greensville and Rockton arrived at the scene within six minutes of the dispatch, he added.

But it was already too late, as the two-storey building was "well-involved," with the front two-thirds of the structure - as well as a number of vehicles within the auto body shop - already ablaze.

Emergency workers tried to establish whether anyone was at home in the building's upstairs apartment unit, but intense flames kept them from going inside immediately.

"There were some initial concerns during the fire that the occupant upstairs was unaccounted for," confirmed Verbeek. "It was important at that time for firefighters to gain entry into the building, but it was unsafe. The amount of fire and threat of collapse of roof and walls kept them from going in.

"They finally located (the tenant) sometime after 11 p.m," he added. "There were no other injuries reported."

Crews remained at the scene for nearly four and a half hours. According to Verbeek, investigation of the incident led to the discovery of a compressor located along one of the walls of the body shop.

"The fire was due to an overheated electric motor on the compressor," he said.

Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the building and another $165,000 to the contents.